Saturday, November 10, 2007

Victory, Thy Name is Jingleheimer Schmidt

I ran the second race of the 2007 Stew Circuit today. That is, second and final. My pace was a healthy 7:14 through 4.75 miles on a very blustery day. The run was nice, scenery magnificent along the river, just like last Sunday. It was a smaller crowd, though, so there was not the same satisfaction of passing as many people. It seems as though the nasty wind kept the more casual types home, because I only had 52 people beat me to the finish line. I give a lot of credit to Kevin G. for getting right back on the Pain Train for a second race in 7 days to compete with me. The best part by far was being able to kick it along the home stretch and cruise by Wifey and Sweetness. The chief organizer of the race plays narrator at the finish line, and remarked at my enthusiasm. Of course, I had my fan club welcoming me!

One thing you learn about parenting: children's tunes are surely more addictive to your brain than any narcotic. During the run, John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt was rolling along like a freight train. Of course, our daughter is so enamored with the tune (I suspect Grandma is an accomplice), that when I ask her what we should name her soon-to-be-unveiled sister, the answer is "Jingleheimer Schmidt". I'm sure she wouldn't be teased in school at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That 'ole Gramma B strikes again. :-) Come on Stew, it is better than Gunther.