Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Fantasy Turned Nightmare

I played football in high school. I was decent, somewhere in the iron triangle formed by "has-been", "also-ran", and "never was". I at least had the chance to decide for myself whether to go play for a small college, or ride the pine at a slightly larger school. Doing neither was a good call. I've also studied the game a bit, and understand some of the fundamentals that go into coaching. In fact, I'd like the opportunity to do that some day. None of that prevents Wifey from destroying me at fantasy football.


What is her secret? Primarily, her strategery consists of:

  1. Drafting Tom Brady
  2. Drafting Randy Moss

How can I compete against that? I'll tell you: I didn't, suffering a 137-56 shellacking in last week's tilt. No knowledge of the 2-Man Under defense vs. Cover 2 defense, or the minutiae of the 4-wide singleback set vs. the 2-tight, 2-wide singleback set can keep me afloat. If Roy Williams decides to only catch a single pass for 15 yards while his teammate, Calvin Johnson, picks up over 80 yards receiving with a touchdown, then that's that. If you can't beat'em, join'em. I'm not converting to a Patriots fan, but I'll cheer for her fantasy juggernaut when I'm not directly facing her. And I stole Wes Welker for my own roster. Go Peugeots.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

WooHoo...Go Wifey...:-) Sorry Stew...