Friday, July 18, 2008

Only at a Monolithic Corporation...

I recently had to pull up stakes and move to another desk about 50 feet away. This was expected, as worker turnover left me sitting alone in a large cubicle meant to comfortably fit 3 people. I got to be king of the hill for a few months, but I finally got my moving orders. I threw away useless documents from my old desk. I threw away useless documents at my new desk from the previous occupants. I was singlehandedly responsible for the destruction or recycling of well over my own body weight in paper from as long as 15 years ago. This, I suppose, is the fleeting value of so many of our efforts. Some engineer toiled to create letters, calculations, arrangements, sketches, material information, or what have you. He (yes, all these documents were from men) may have even worked the weekend or late at night to create them. Maybe he even got a pat on his back from the boss (less likely). And it was sheer vanity. Very few people even remember the names on the documents, let alone who they were or why they or their work is "important". But I digress... I carried my personal possessions, computer, and work stuff over to the new desk. It's much more crowded there, but the company is fine. On Monday, the phone guys finally reassigned my phone number to the outlet at my desk, which was the last step for me to be officially moved in. Probably 20 hours of total work to get relocated, and I can now call it "home away from home". And on Tuesday I was informed that I will be moving again in less than two months, this time to another building. To likely be followed by another move to a different desk on the same floor before the end of the year. Remarkable. I'm sure somebody knows how it makes sense.

No comments: