Tuesday, February 26, 2008

There's an Engineer on that Long Black Train

Last night I Tell You What and Wifey attended a Josh Turner/Carrie Underwood concert. I've been to a few concerts, but this one really was special. Wifey and I both really like Josh Turner, we only had to drive about an hour to reach the arena, and it was definitely our first real date since Sarah Joy was born. And it was a riot! You can check out videos here.
Mr. Turner's performance was exceptional, especially considering he missed a concert two days ago with the flu. The most remarkable thing was his voice. Not just singing, but plain old talkin'. If Barry White and Boomhauer had a love child, who then produced a son with the San Andreas Fault, that man would have Josh Turner's voice. The first couple of songs were so flawless that I wasn't sure if he was lip synching, but it became apparent that he was singing, and doing so very well. He did not disappoint, although that part of the concert was a disappointingly short 40 minutes or so.
Carrie Underwood is a good pop/country singer, and neither Wifey or I had a huge affinity for her. But, hey, we were already there, so we stuck around for the 100 minute show she put on. And we were quite thankful we did! It started out a little slow, but she really got rolling towards the end. She's a 105 pound waif, but it's all pipes. I saw Allison Krauss live a few years ago, and nobody has a prettier voice than her, but I've never seen someone sing like Ms. Underwood. I can see why she is so popular. She even pulled off a G'n'R double tribute (Cold November Rain/Paradise City) near the end that was legit.
It may be forever before Wifey and I get out for another evening like that, but we will remember this one till that day and beyond!

2 comments:

carriefaninms said...

Thank you so much for your kind words about Ms Carrie Marie Underwood. Carrie had me hook line and sinker from day one on Idol. I knew there was something very different and special about her that very first night. I have had the pleasure of seeing her 7 times in concert and have gotten to meet her 3 times. I did see Josh open for Carrie in June 06 in Huntsville Alabama. I had been a fan of his until then, but now love his music. It was the same with Brad Paisley not a fan until I saw him and Carrie together. I am sure it will be the same with Keith Urban when I get to see them together on the Gulf Coast. Again thanks so much for your kind remarks about Carrie. If you ever get the chance to meet her DO IT. She is as real and genuine as they get.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to vote for number 3 also. I am a fellow engineer, and have found myself enamored with the simplest mechanisms...be it a heat exchanger, a heat sink, a car antenna, or even my own fingers! Didn't somebody once say, with greater understanding comes greater wonder? If not, THEN I JUST SAID IT! It's mine! And now you have to quote me if you want to us it. But back to the point. Since engineers tend to boil things down to their most basic representations, it tends to lead to many random thoughts, rabbit trails, and circuitous discussion. Whatever the case may be, I'm loving the blog.