Wednesday, February 27, 2008

It Always is Such Torture, When We Can-not Watch The Show

Wifey, Sweetness, and I watched some episodes of Season 1 of The Muppet Show tonight. This was a thoughtful gift from the in-laws. This show premiered in 1976. The episodes average around 25 minutes of air time each, which I'm assuming was a 1/2 network slot at that time. Meanwhile, contemporary (Blues Clues, Little Einsteins, etc.) children's shows on DVDs time in at about 22 minutes. Shows for grown-ups (The Office, Arrested Development, etc.) are also about 22 minutes.
Let's crunch the numbers. If we assume an American watches an hour of television a night, and many do, that's an extra 6 minutes per hour of mind-rotting commercials. Take that over a year, and you get 2190 minutes of EXTRA commercials over 1976, or 5,840 minutes total commercials. The extra minutes alone are 36.5 hours of commercials.
Meditate on it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't really find the words to express how much of a nerd statement that is.

Instead I can offer advise. Read during the commercials.....or get Tivo I suppose

Anonymous said...

I've got DVR and I love it because you can start the program a little late and then skip the commercials.

The downside is that it also allows me to record shows that I don't stay up late enough for, like The Colbert Report, and thus watch them in the early evening. Which means more time wasted in front of the TV.

The Writer's Strike was very good for my homework time.