Friday, February 8, 2008

Closet War Mongers

Recently, I was scraping the mildew-ridden caulk from the Official Bathtub of I Tell You What to prepare for a new bead of sparkling sealant. Through my overly vigorous efforts, I snapped a blade. I went to a new box of single-edge razors for the scraper, and was enamored with what I found. There was a plastic casing, with a channel open to a single side to allow the razors to slide out 1 at a time. On the underside, there were two plastic leaf springs that would automatically slide the next razor into the channel, ready to unload.
For those of you from the military, law enforcement, or a household where there is room for all of God's creatures at the table, this simple casing is known as a "magazine". This is because it reminds one fundamentally of this:

That's right, this principle is how almost every non-revolver repeating firearm cycles fresh rounds into the chamber after the previous round is discharged. Some, like our razor dispenser, require an independent mechanical means (the thumb) like a pump slide, a lever, or a bolt mechanism as shown above. Semi- and fully automatic firearms use the leftover pressurized gases from the previous round (bullet) to do the job, but it's all the same concept. This leaves us with 3 possibilities:
  1. The United States is operating a covert weapons design base to support continued growth of the military-industrial-congressional complex.
  2. It's really just a convenient way to package razor blades and it minimizes emergency room visits.
  3. Mechanical Engineers boil all physical systems and components down to their most fundamental level, which makes everything relate to something else on some level or another.

My vote is Number 1 because, as www.defensetech.org informs us, the US has surpassed THE REST OF THE WORLD COMBINED for defense expenditures. Wifey would likely vote for Number 3, as she has to endure my little exercises like this on a regular, nay, constant basis. What do you think?

1 comment:

Stew said...

From an anonymous reader:

I'm going to have to vote for number 3 also. I am a fellow engineer, and have found myself enamored with the simplest mechanisms...be it a heat exchanger, a heat sink, a car antenna, or even my own fingers! Didn't somebody once say, with greater understanding comes greater wonder? If not, THEN I JUST SAID IT! It's mine! And now you have to quote me if you want to us it. But back to the point. Since engineers tend to boil things down to their most basic representations, it tends to lead to many random thoughts, rabbit trails, and circuitous discussion. Whatever the case may be, I'm loving the blog.