Saturday, December 1, 2007

Everybody's Got SOME Reason to Give

2 Corinthians Ch 9:7 Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed; 9 as it is written, "HE SCATTERED ABROAD, HE GAVE TO THE POOR, HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS ENDURES FOREVER."
I recently came across a description of several colleges that require NO tuition of their students. Not counting the service academies (a noble enough pursuit, regardless), there was a surprising number of these schools. I cannot vouch for the quality of their academic programs, but it's good to know the options exist for our child(ren). It brought to mind my own good fortune.
I spoke to the recruiter/counselor (Mr. Turnquist, who later became a friend) at Michigan Tech before my senior year of high school, and he said point-blank "Stewart, after reviewing your records, I guarantee that you will qualify for a full tuition Board of Control Scholarship". My college search was all over but the crying, at that point. The result? I completed my studies there just over 4 years later with virtually no debt. This has made me financially secure and independent from the moment I got my full-time job. That started a chain of events that allowed me to purchase a home and allow Wifey to stop working as soon as Sweetness arrived on the scene. Now I see the results in our daughter's behavior and development, and as a bonus Wifey has not had to work while pregnant for our second child. It has also left me capable of meeting the needs of others when the opportunity to help arises, as well as contribute to our church's general and missions funds.
When we no longer have children living with us, I will definitely try to give back to Michigan Tech. The leg up that the university gave me has been a huge help. I will spend a little time looking for other areas in my life where I could give back (or just give) to others. After all, I scattered abroad, what's to stop my from helping and thereby enduring?

No comments: