Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Better Mousetrap (Bumped for Medieval Rodent Domination)

UPDATE: Two days ago I went downstairs as I prepared for work. I found this.


Somehow the rodent is suspended by its face over the edge of the beam. Just when you thought Glamdring's creativity had run its course, this mouse gets it IN THAA FAAACE.

I would not go so far as to say that we have a mouse problem at our new house. What is beyond debate, however, is that we have a legion of mice living in our basement. Accordingly, I have deployed 4 of the old-fashioned mousetraps in our basement and garage. All the traps in the basement have turned up a mouse or two. One of them, however, is a cut apart. I refer to it as Glamdring, the sword known as "foe-hammer" in J.R.R Tolkien's Hobbit. It has killed mice in almost every way imaginable. I have found mice trapped in it in the usual fashion. I have found them completely decapitated. I have found a dead mouse down on the concrete floor (Glamdring is best placed on a certain beam that is evidently a high-traffic area), with the trap lying four feet away. I have no explanation. It also hungers for human flesh, as it is very tempermental to set, and has come close to pinching my fingers on several occasions.

As an engineer, I know that any time you use a torsion spring you are assuming a 20-30% variability in its stiffness. Also, using a piece of slippery plastic to place your bait (which must include peanut butter by my reckoning, if you want to bring the mice in) and also serve as the catch for the bar is going to produce a different resistance to disturbance before release for each trap. Therefore, a given mouse trap may be nastier than another. That aside, there is something especially devilish about this particular mousetrap. It leaves me certain that it was forged in some work shop on one of the lowest levels of mouse Hell.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Ewww.

KerryBear said...

Haha You and Uncle Bill need to chat some cuz he says Peanut Butter is the best too!!!! :)Two peas in a pod you too!

Matt said...

Glamdring, of course, is known amongst the mice as "Beater."

If you find youself an Orcrist to go with that trap, you'll have that problem licked...