Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Mistakes

Spending a little time traveling, visiting family in bucolic Northern Michigan. The drive will be tough with two children, but the time in the woods will be good for all. I"m not likely to post for over a week, in the meantime. On with blogging:
On a recent Sunday, Wifey stayed home from church with Sarah Joy, who was sick. I stopped at Subway to grab some sandwiches for lunch on the way home with Sweetness. As I stood in line, I realized that I had forgotten my wallet. I turned on my heels and headed back to the car. Sweetness asked "Why are we leaving?"
What an opportunity! I could explain the principle of human fallibility here, even my own. I gently explained to her that I made a mistake, and that when we make mistakes we just have to do the best we can to find a solution.
The next morning, Wifey went in to see Sweetness and get her out of bed, only to discover that our daughter had wet her pull-up (thankfully, we are now done with that entirely). When asked what happened, because she had been staying dry overnight, Sweetness replied
"Sometimes, I like to make mistakes, just like daddy does." Sigh.
A few minutes later, as I headed out the door to work, I heard Sweetness shout "Don't forget your wallet, daddy." Evidently, it is I who have a great deal to learn.

1 comment:

Kathryn Lynn said...

Your daughter is such a quick learner! I loved this story.