Sunday, June 22, 2008

Every Time I Get Wicket

Played shortstop again in our church softball league a few days ago. Everybody was feeling the full swelt of the sweltering late afternoon air. The opposing team's shortstop was flawless, which definitely made my light shine a bit duller, but shine on it did. I have a mediocre arm but a good glove, and both were on display. I made some nice grabs, and put what zip I had into my throws. Of course, my arm now feels like it's going to fall off at the elbow any minute. I mean really, even playing well I could barely keep pace with him. Until... I let a sharply hit ball go by me. This happens on poorly maintained infields, but there was no excuse for a ball to go through the wickets. If you don't know, it means you let a ball go right... between... your legs. It's the worst thing possible for a fielder. Just ask Bill Buckner. You can over or under run a ball in the outfield, or have it ricochet off your body in the infield, or have it go off your glove anywhere and people will have some sympathy for you. But there is no redemption for the guy who gets five-holed and has to turn around to watch the ball hop into the outfield. Maybe next time.

No comments: