Monday, January 21, 2008

A Kevin Jones-like Substance

This is a picture of Sweetness decked out in her official NFL apparel:The jersey is a replica (not actual size) of Kevin Jones, Detroit Lions running back. She loves the shirt, looks gorgeous in it, and is not aware of the utter mediocrity of the team the shirt represents. It is the team I cheer for, and will continue to do so loyally. This is a painful practice, cheering for a doomed squad, but it pays huge dividends, as it allows you to stake your claim proudly when the team finally achieves success. Like the Detroit Tigers of 2 years ago reaching the World Series. Anyway, Sweetness doesn't get farther than asking what the different teams are called when they're on TV, or getting excited when somebody gets their clock cleaned, so we're all winners to this point. I give credit to Wifey for the good idea, who also got a Tom Brady onesie for Sarah Joy. One child for each of our teams, this is how marriage works out.
Anyway, with much less time to exercise with the arrival of a second child, one of my outlet activities right now is Madden Football '08 on Playstation 2. My pretend-Lions (we'll call them the Peugeots) won the Superbowl, and are on a huge run in their pretend 3rd year of existence. On the second hardest difficulty level. I am marginally proud of this. Anyway, I was scrolling through the season 3 stats (shut up! It does not make me a dork) the other night, and I came across... Kevin Jones, my former star running back. I say "former", because the evil New England Patriots scooped him up in the off season because I didn't offer him enough pretend money (shut up!). I saw that the turncoat had suffered a season ending injury. I actually felt good inside, in a very smug way (shut up!). That was before I realized that I was experiencing actual human emotions for a video game, with pretend people, on pretend football teams that I don't actually play for, in a pretend future. SHUT UP!
Let's wrap this up with a gratuitous cute picture.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Don't feel bad about being a video game dork. I have a game where things happen when you aren't playing, so I'm always afraid that my neighbors will move away while I'm not playing. So that sucks.

She is so cute in her jersey!!!!