Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Steely Skies

My engineering group has made our long-anticipated move across the shipyard to the nice, relatively new high rise that serves as a sort of headquarters for design work. The view of the river and seaside is quite serene, even from the lowly fourth floor (really ground floor, but we're on a hillside sloping down to the water) of ten. A few of our guys have been disappointed by the generally rainy/foggy weather since we arrived, and I can see their point, since the sunny days are as colorful and uplifting as can be, with the sweeping horizon and gem-like reflections off the choppy waves. However, I am partial to the steely grays of the overcast day, with the far more subtle shifts of shade and more immediate feel to everything you see. To each his own, but I see nothing inherently worse about a day more suited to contemplation and coolheaded thoughts than idyllic whimsy and soaring fancy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It has been overcast for about a week now in Virginia. I was feeling the lack of sunlight myself until today. I flew to Arizona for work, as soon as we broke through above the clouds out of Richmond I immediately felt my spirits rising (what better than getting paid to fly on a plane). However, as I got to Phoenix I discovered a forgotten complication of the sun, 106 degree heat. I don't care if it is a dry heat, that's hot for May.