Thursday, October 2, 2008

Super Mega Garden Monsters

The sprawling I Tell You What estate includes a small garden. This not only provides some fresh produce, but also allows Sweetness to learn a bit about the world around her. I Tell You What, every kid should have a chance to be around plants to understand where so much of our food comes from. This year, we all learned a little bit about some garden monsters. This is in addition to the ongoing Great Wasp War.
I apologize for the poor quality of the photo above, but this picture of a tobacco hornworm is the only one I took that provided any sort of perspective. What a juggernaut! The thing was fierce some, it looks as though my daughter's hand is in jeopardy. Fortunately, hornworms are harmless. I was very surprised to discover that the white things on its back are not the eggs of a parasitic wasp, but the coccoons of wasp larvae that had already done their damage. Indeed, the hornworm hung on that branch for a few days before croaking. Not that I felt bad for the beast. It consumed an entire branch (almost 2 feet long) of our enormous cherry tomato plant, and at least a half of a large beefsteak tomato. This is the equivalent to Sarah Joy eating an entire giant pumpkin.
Last week I had a much more rewarding insect encounter. While mowing the lawn I saw an adult praying mantis running for the cover of our hydrangea bush. What a fascinating critter! Sweetness was enthralled by the hefty insectivore, but was a little intimidated. The praying mantis was a great study. She (I think it was a female) moved around a bit on our deck, but mostly hung out and cleaned her arms (equipped with iron maiden grip!) After a short while, we released her into one of our large blueberry bushes. Maybe she will lay an egg sack, and next year we can have a few more of these auspicious critters around.

These were great experiences for the children and adults of our family alike. I Tell You What, though, if I see these guys mixing it up in our back yard, I'm moving back to Michigan:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Godzilla vs Mothra!! I love it!