Monday, September 15, 2008

The Money Maker

So, how do you hedge against complete failure in a technical field? Look the role, talk the role, live the role. Once you are a consumate dork, They (the global "They", who run everything) will have no choice but to cast you with a brief role in a recruiting video. Have patience, it takes a while to load. I guess my Hollywood destiny was cut short almost 30 years ago with a face that just wasn't Tombradyish enough, but my corporate film roll lived on because I never boxed enough to mash my face. That and the fact that the company apparently feels no obligation to pay me an additional cent for my cameo. That was filmed about 2 years ago with the purpose of being shown at trade shows and conferences and the like for a project we were working on. Instead, every new hire the company brings in will vaguely recognize me... until the lightbulb goes on and WHAMMO!

I KNOW YOU! YOU'RE THE GUY FROM THE RECRUITING VIDEO! I WANT TO BE YOUR DEAR FRIEND...

I'm going to see it coming from a mile away, but I don't know how to respond or, better still, cut off the inevitable "I know and understand you because I've seen your face before." Any thoughts out there?

No comments: