Thursday, August 14, 2008

Summer Recess

I Tell You What, I have not had a lot of time for posting lately. I've been trying to finish a book that I find particularly interesting, Running Critical by Patrick Tyler. Among the other unique things that keep me interested in my job, there are actually books written about the shipyard. This one is not particularly flattering. To be completely honest, the place seemed like Hellville, USA, during the 1970's. The old timers tell all kinds of great stories about how things used to work, but I don't think all the changes in the past 30 years have been so bad. Despite all the cosmetic changes to the shipyard and Navy, the dynamic interaction has hardly changed a whit, by my reckoning. I'll be sure to do a more extensive write-up when I've finished the book. I'm also trying to squeeze out some time to e-mail old friends. I acknowledge that e-mail is about the least personal and least satisfying way to stay in touch, but it only takes 10 minutes and still shows you care. In lieu of writing a lengthy post, I challenge you to do two things I'm doing this week with the time you would normally spend surfing the Web

  • Write, call, or visit somebody you haven't heard from in at least 6 months
  • Read a book

No comments: